The Presentation Sisters came to Lixnaw in 1877.
They lived down near the Post Office until 1881 when they moved to the present site.
In 1881, the first school was started. Children flocked to the school - at one time there were 300 enrolled. Several Sisters taught in the school.
By 1896, the number of pupils had increased so much it was overcrowed so Mother Teresa set about getting a new school. The building consisted of 3 classrooms, a cloak room and a music room.
In 1903, the organiser for Infant Schools, Miss Farrell gave a course on Infant Education to the Sisters and from that time on, the school made great progress - Music played a big part in the school. Nature Study, drawing, brush-work, paper cutting, drama and games were introduced, also story telling as well as the usual subjects. The children had a very happy school-life.
In 1954 the new Infant school was built - St. Gabriel's.
In 1955, the new Senior school was opened - Scoil Mhuire gan Smál.
The History of Scoil Mhuire gan Smál, written by Sr Evelyn.